With Time of Use, different usage rates are charged for the electricity you use at different times: off peak, shoulder and peak.
• Off peak – charged when the electricity network has low usage, such as overnight.
• Shoulder – a usage rate that sits between peak and off peak times. Shoulder rates are usually a bit cheaper than peak rates and are available in most states. These times may differ between states and distributors.
• Peak - charged when the electricity network has high usage, such as in the evening or on weekdays.
To check the times for these periods
QLD - Energex
• Peak: Weekdays 4pm-8pm
• Shoulder: All other times
• Off peak: 10pm-7am
NSW - Ausgrid
• Check your times at https://www.ausgrid.com.au/Your-energy-use/Meters/Time-of-use-pricing
NSW - Essential Energy
• Peak: Weekdays 7am-9am and 5pm-8pm
• Shoulder: Weekdays 9am-5pm and 8pm-10pm
• Off peak: All other times
NSW - Endeavour Energy
• Peak: Weekdays 1pm-8pm excluding Public Holidays
• Shoulder: Weekdays 7am-1pm and 8pm-10pm excluding Public Holidays
• Off peak:All other times